Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review: Dallas Morning News Editorial Board endorsement interview

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, right? My opponent and I met with the Editorial Board at the Dallas Morning News Tuesday afternoon for our endorsement interview. First of all, U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions had a chauffer for the occassion, staff member Emily Davis. And I had to get a little dig in on my opponent when he introduced me to Ms. Davis, saying, "Sure, I've read an awful lot of quotes from Ms. Davis lately," in reference to her many statements to the press following events Rep. Sessions had better things to do than comment on. You know, the Allen Stanford incident ("I love you" email) and such.

And as one supporter termed it "elitist," Ms. Davis was brushing Rep. Sessions hair with her fingers before we went in with the Editors. Now, I won't go quite that far, but I will clarify for the record that I drove myself and cared for my own hair.

But perhaps the funniest aspect of the experience was the fact that Pete's driver literally parked in the FIRE LANE! Not kidding. Here's the photo proof.



Well, I have no pre-conceived notions that the DMN Editorial Board would take such a humorous occurrence into account when issuing their endorsement in our race, but wouldn't it be interesting to see?

A hypothetical editorial, just for grins...

"We truly appreciate Rep. Sessions' years of experience, his conservative voting record and his role in the leadership of the House Republican caucus. However, his abysmal parking record cause us to have to endorse Mr. Smith in the CD32 Republican Primary."

Oh, well...I can hope, right?

Well, as for the content of the interview, I was pretty pleased both with the content of the questions asked as well as my responses. When I was quizzed for details of my proposal to move toward a privatized Social Security system, I pointed out that this isn't actually an original proposition on the part of some wide-eyed challenger. As I have pointed out many times, Galveston County already has a private retirement system for its employees that outperforms SSA by two to three times! And I proceeded to provide details as to how we could transition from the current system to a private system.

My only real misstep was when being quizzed on a program begun during the Bush Administration that set up a partnership between the U.S. and Mexico meant to decrease the violence in Mexico due to drug cartels there. Not being familiar with the specific program, I defaulted to my answer on related topics in my reply to the DMN's online questionnaire. I replied that we must assist Mexico in combatting the violence there, but not with a military presence in that country. Instead, local law enforcement, Federal Agents and military forces can be called on to provide cooperative training for their counterparts in Mexico, thus helping Mexico to take care of the problem within its own borders without the U.S. taking the lead role in the matter.

And to be honest, I'm not sure that Rep. Sessions answered a single question he was asked! He used words like "leadership" and "reducing spending," even referring to my bringing up the Allen Stanford affair as--I have to make sure to get this right--I LOVED this term!--"a political characterization by a political opponent." Totally blew off the issue. Unfortunately, I have heard from investors who lost significant assets with Stanford who view things a little bit differently. Sessions stated that he had made donations to charities of his choice following the incident. While admirable, again, I'm sure there are investors who would rather have seen these funds returned to them!

So, a pretty good, and even somewhat enjoyable experience! I snapped the photo above as I was leaving. My only regret was that I was unable to get Rep. Sessions and Ms. Davis in the photo as well. Of course, with a record involving bailouts, blimps and burlesque fundraisers, Sessions has become quite adept at avoiding the cameras.

As well as relying on his staff to make him look and sound good!


Paid for by Friends of David Smith, Lucie Weaver, Treasurer.

1 comment:

  1. A review of your review is posted at Sessions Watch. According to Sharon Grigsby, the endorsement will be published tomorrow. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete